Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Florence Girls Trip

When in Venice a few weeks earlier, I met a lady who had just done a week long cooking class in Florence Italy. After our conversation, I was convinced to go and take a day course. While researching the different options, I came across this cooking school in this charming little villa. Some girlfriends here all wanted to get away. So what better than a cooking class in Tuscany.
 
As expected we had an Italian chef as our instructor. Who knew I could make ravioli from scratch. We had about 15 people in the class, who all turned out to be Americans. At the end of this fun filled day, we reaped the benefits of our labor and sat down to meal of everything we had made.
 

Florence (Firenze) is the regional capital of Tuscany, in the centre of Italy. A town with a turbulent and action-packed history. Florence's most striking landmark is Brunelleschi's dome on the Duomo, and its most reproduced sight is Michelangelo's statue of David. I was impressed by the size of this statue. His hands particularly stuck out to me. And the detail of the David truly made it a masterpiece. The proportions are not quite true to the human form. The head and upper body are somewhat larger than the proportions.
 

The town is situated on the river Arno, which is spanned by the famous Ponte Vecchio, the only of Florence's bridges not to be blown up in the Second World War.There have been stores on the Ponte Vecchio since the 13th century. I was hoping to find Josh some silver cuff links, seeing as the stores are mostly jewelry dealers. But they were all a bit out of my price range. By night, the wooden shutters of the shops make them look like suitcases and wooden chests.
 
Posted by Picasa

Thanks to Emily, Ashley, and Rachel for a this enjoyably relaxing weekend.

11 comments:

Zobell Fam said...

Okay now I expect a gourmet meal when you come home!! Love ya and I am glad that you had such a great time!!

Melissa said...

That looks like my dream day!!! How fun! Your friends are so cute! I bet you guys had a blast. How far is it from your home? I love all the pictures... especially of the David. ;) ha ha ha ;)

Em said...

janelle-- you are amazing! it was such a great adventure! thanks for planning it-- arranging it-- and renting the car! so fun! we need to plan another weekend getaway!

okbushmans said...

Reading your blog is my get-away! I am living vicariously through your European adventures! What an amazing opportunity!

Kelli Schwarz said...

How amazing! OK this might sound funny, but my sister-in-laws mother is over there right now taking cooking classes! I wonder if she was in your class! What a small world. That would be so great to do, and doing it with all your friends is even better:) So fun!

Lance and Becky said...

How fun, and that is seriously one of my dreams! I would love to cook like that! Culinary art school...yeah I would love it! What an absolute blast!

Erin said...

You ARE flying back next year to do this again with me!
Love the pics.

Miss you

Michelle Akauola said...

How fun is that. I would love to do that. You need to call me when you get a chance. Do you know were you are going to live. I am way excited cant wait.

Kelli Radmall said...

That looks like so much fun! You have cute cooking friends too! I'll be excited to see you sometime when you get back!

Unknown said...

K That is awesome! How fun! You have to show me some recipes and stuff when you get back! keep living it up for all of us! can't wait to see you when you get back! love ya!

Alexis said...

Wow! You are awesome, I would have loved to take a cooking class, but I don't think that Megan would recommend it since every time I go to cut anything she tells me "Mom be careful don't cut yourself" I've just had 1 too many cuts.